Please join in our open, informal conversations exploring and sharing our experiences in theatre making and beyond!
More events to be announced soon - let’s continue the conversation...
We are looking at providing access for these sessions, please contact us with requirements, so that we can try and put things in place. email@example.com
- Tue, 04 MayZoomDESIGN FEES: What is the sustainable economic model for design? | Tuesday 4th May | 7:30pm – 9pm BST04 May 2021, 19:30 – 21:00ZoomA conversation about a new model for Set and Costume Designer’s fees. What might more progressive, more accessible, and more inclusive approach look like moving forward? With an introduction to our S/C survey and an opportunity for Q&As.
- Tue, 20 AprZoom20 Apr 2021, 19:30 – 21:00ZoomALL are welcome for a conversation about women’s safety in theatre; a chance to openly interrogate systems and cultures, identify problematic areas and reflect on what might be better working practices in the future.
- Tue, 06 AprZoom06 Apr 2021, 19:30 – 21:00ZoomA year on from the first lockdown, let’s all come together again to connect and discuss where we go from here. We want to share what Scene/Change have been working on and talk together about what might happen next…
- Mon, 30 NovZoom30 Nov 2020, 19:30 GMTZoomJoin us for a discussion between Designers and Assistants on these key support roles. What is the difference between an Assistant and an Associate? Let’s try to clarify expectations and formalise our job definitions in order to better negotiate fair rates of pay.
- Wed, 25 NovZoom25 Nov 2020, 15:00 GMTZoomJoin us for a discussion about working backstage in theatre, existing hierarchies, and encouraging positive change in the industry, with focus on the collaborative process and video as a young discipline.
- Wed, 11 NovZoom11 Nov 2020, 15:00 – 16:30 GMTZoomJoin us in this informal conversation with set and video designers; share experiences and thoughts on how we can better understand and deepen the collaboration between set and video design.
- Thu, 05 NovZoomPAST EVENT - How can we change the world of design for the better? | S/C with Devoted & Disgruntled | 10am – 2pm GMT05 Nov 2020, 10:00 – 14:00ZoomThis is a unique opportunity to utilise Open Space Zoom with the brilliant D&D team. No topic is off the table, so please join us for this exciting community event!
- Wed, 28 OctZoom28 Oct 2020, 15:00 – 16:30 GMTZoomIntroducing The Video Code, followed by a discussion on how can we encourage and support a more diverse workforce into the backstage industries, with a focus on access, mentoring and creating a sustainable career.
- Thu, 15 OctZoom15 Oct 2020, 15:00ZoomA follow up to our first successful International Stage Designers Zoom, and an opportunity to hear from colleagues across the globe on what is both shared and different about our lives and practice! Hosted by Wilson Chin, Soutra Gilmour, Rae Smith and Anna Fleischle.
- Tue, 06 OctZoom06 Oct 2020, 20:00ZoomLet’s talk about not going back to work yet, or maybe ever. How will we cope with a diverging experience - when we’re not all in the same boat anymore? How can we foster and sustain the potential for mutual support within our community?
- Mon, 05 OctZoom05 Oct 2020, 20:00ZoomLet’s talk about PAY! Both Assistant and Associate Designers need their rates improving to fall in line with other theatre technical disciplines. Can we put together a transparent pay scale that protects a minimum wage?
- Thu, 01 OctZoom01 Oct 2020, 20:00ZoomThe first of us to go back will be setting a precedent. Let’s talk about going back to work, share our experiences, and use the power we have found in unity to make sure our voices are heard.
- Thu, 30 JulZoom30 Jul 2020, 15:00 – 16:30ZoomAn opportunity for the diverse group that is Prop Makers to share and discuss their past experiences, their current situations, and how we could protect and improve these together when productions resume. Panel includes Claire Sanderson, Bronia Topley, Sharon Foley, Carl Taylor and Lez Brotherston.
- Thu, 30 JulZoomPAST EVENT - Collaborators in Conversation: Designers, Producers and Production Managers | 11am-12:30pm BST30 Jul 2020, 11:00 – 12:30ZoomFollowing on from a full-hearted discussion between designers and production managers, we now invite producers into the conversation. Please join us for this discussion between three of the key roles in creating any production with attendees from a variety of backgrounds and experiences.
- Tue, 21 JulZoom21 Jul 2020, 11:00 – 12:30 BSTZoomJoin us for a discussion about creative process, action and collaboration beyond traditional theatre structures. Placing open-ended process at the centre of the conversation, we will discuss socially and politically engaged practice, self-initiated and participatory projects and creative collectives
- Fri, 17 JulZoom17 Jul 2020, 16:00ZoomJoin us for this session where we will be discussing Diversity in Wigs, Hair and Make-up and working with different Hair textures. Hosting will be Kamanza Amihyia, Giuseppe Cannas, Cynthia De La Rosa and Carole Hancock.
- Thu, 16 JulZoom16 Jul 2020, 11:00 – 12:30ZoomJoin us for a discussion with artists and makers from various disciplines who all have experience in creating their own work, to spark new ideas and help us broaden the way we work and the kind of work we make. Panel includes Stella Kanu, Kate Tiernan, Elena Thatcher, Hannah Davey, Harriet Darling.
- Wed, 15 JulZoom15 Jul 2020, 15:00ZoomJoin us for an informal zoom conversation to share experiences and thoughts on the current situation and looking to the future. Hosted by Scene Change with international guests including Oroon Das, Susan Hilferty, Michael Levine, Clint Ramos, Ilmur Stefánsdóttir, Donyale Werle and David Zinn